I am yet to find a dairy free cheese that is any good. This beef lasagna recipe still is not 100% dairy free, but I have adapted this recipe to include LESS dairy. I have served this lasagna recipe to lots of people who love dairy- and they always seem to like it.
You will need:
Homemade beef bolognaise sauce (use your own favourite recipe)
Ingredients for white sauce- these are all approximate measurements since I never really measure the quantities.
60g nutellex spread or your dairy free spread of choosing
1/2 cup Plain flour
500ml Rice milk
Salt and pepper
1/2 Grated strong flavored cheese such as vintage cheddar or Parmesan
Method for white sauce
1. Melt the nutellex in a saucepan.
2. Add enough flour to soak up melted nutellex. Stir until it is absorbed and becomes a dough.
3. While stirring on low heat, gradually add the rice milk in small amounts. Stir to incorporate each new addition of milk before you add more. The smaller the amount of milk each time, the less likely there will be lumps in the sauce.
4. By the time you have added all of the rice milk, there should be quite a bit of sauce in the pan. Continue stirring while simmering until it thickens a little. Don't expect it to be as thick as a normal white sauce- it won't be. The sauce will thicken up as it cooks in the oven.
5. Take sauce off the heat.Add half the cheese to the sauce and stir to melt.
Assemble lasagna as you normally would. I.e:a thin layer of beef bolognaise, then the lasagna pasta sheets, then the white sauce and repeat until everything is used up and the dish is full.
Add the remaining cheese to the top and cook at 200.c for 45 minutes, or until golden and crisp to your liking.